History of Wivenhoe Bowls Club

Wivenhoe Bowls Club was founded by 20 members of the Colne Social Club in Park Road in 1926.

Colne Social Club

Colne Social Club

The first games were played on a nearby rink on land at the back of Fernbank in the High street, the home of the Chairman of the Wivenhoe Urban District Council, Mr H Hook.
Captain W.H. Ham was the first Chairman and Mr H. Pawsey the first President.

In 1927,there were 26 playing members and in 1928, Wivenhoe Bowls Club became affiliated to the Tendring Hundred and District Bowling Association (formed in1923) .

By 1934, it had become apparent that one rink was insufficient for the club’s needs and the club was offered a piece of land which was part of Ten Acres on a peppercorn rent by Mr Stacey Wood.  This allowed for a green of four rinks although bowling at that time was in only one direction.

A pavilion was built and a wrought iron gate was supplied by Mr F.W. Smith to commemorate the opening of the club grounds on May 3rd.

Wrought Iron Gates Wivenhoe Bowls Club

Click for video’s of The story of bowls parts one and two

The History of Wivenhoe Bowls Club Roll of Honours
TH&DBL Cup winners 1939
Premier League winners
1939, 1973, 1986, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2012, 2014

Maurice Stanford Memorial Cup winners
1984, 1998, 2000, 2008, 2014

The Stanford League winners
2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2014

Windsor League Triples winners
1986, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2011, 2012, 2015, 

The Triples Championship (Sheldrake Jubilee Cup 1973) winners
1974, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1988, 1992, 1995, 1996, 2001, 2002, 2010

Tendring Hundred League Team K.O. Winners
1985, 1990, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2017

Tendring Hundred League K.O. Plate Winners
2006, 2009, 2010, 2014,

 

 

Wivenhoe Bowls Sponsors
Members Area Log In
You are not logged in.